Thursday, March 02, 2006

'Nother Chance

I haven't blogged this week because I'm concerned about Bubba. He may not be allowed to stay with us much longer.

Sweety has reached the end of her rope with his vicious outbursts towards strangers, visitors, walkers on the street, kids, golf carts, UPS delivery guys, and other animals. She would like to have another dog, but when we brought another dog over to see how Bubba would react, he was awful. So we decided he would probably have to go back the rescue people we got him from. We are just concerned that he is going to hurt someone (ELSE) or someone's pet and we will be in a world of hurt.

Monday, we saw the movie Eight Below about the sled dogs in Antarctica. I was really depressed after seeing it and thinking about what I was going to have to do to the Bubster. So I asked Sweety if I could find someone who would change his behavior, could we give him one more chance. She agreed.

Unfortunately, none of the local trainers gave me much hope. So I called Man's Best Friend in Dallas. They assured me that they have trained many dogs like Bubba. They will train him to be a "Protector Dog" but in so doing, will train him to have an "off switch" so that we can tell him he can take time off from protecting us.

He goes to Dallas tomorrow. It will be expensive, but I think he is worth it. The price includes lifetime retraining and after he graduates, we will have to go back every couple of weeks for a while so they can correct any problems. Also, they said if they judge that he cannot learn about the "off switch", they will only charge for boarding.

So, now I'm going to find out how to attach a "tip jar" to this blog and invite anyone who wants to help save Bubba to contribute. We take Paypal.

BTW, I recommend Eight Below. But beware the leopard seals.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Conduct said...

Glad to hear that the Bubster is getting another shot at keeping his cushy, spoiled life! I'm eager to hear how MBF does. They're really popular here and we consulted with them, but we got a bad consultant and she just turned us off completely, which is how we ended up with Chad.

1:49 PM  
Blogger What Was I Thinkin'? said...

I talked to a very nice guy who gave me confidence that he can make a change in the Bubster. I was very impressed with their store in Carrollton and the way they treated both Bubba and us.

Sure hope this works.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home